Friday, January 9, 2009

Bennett

See this cute man here?
Well for the past 3 weeks he has had (what I thought) was just this little cold. Lots of coughing... and sometimes a runny nose. Finally yesterday (after 2 nights of little sleep for both of us) I took him into the pediatrician. She took one look at him...did all the poking and prodding that they do and said "well he seems pretty healthy" (never mind the fact that his nose was dripping like a faucet) And that is when she asked the dreaded question "Do you have a family history of Asthma?" Both of my brothers have bad asthma... so yes I do. After picking up the medication, and the nebulizer- I just hoped that maybe the pediatrician was wrong. That after one treatment nothing would change and that he still just had a bad cold. After pinning him to me (you see they have to be sitting up) we had our first treatment...and the change was incredible. His eyes came back to life, the hacking cough that he had was almost gone, and he seemed back to his jolly self. So yes, Bennett now has asthma. I have mixed emotions at this time- yes I am glad they found what was bothering him, yes I am glad to get a full nights sleep again, and yes I am hoping that he will grow out of it. But no, I watched as both of my brothers battled asthma growing up, and I watched the scary things that asthma can do to ones body.... yeah so I am thrilled.

On another note Halle thinks it is pretty cool- Bennett gets to wear a dinosaur mask to take his medicine, he gets to sit in front of the tv and watch his favorite show, and then he gets to snuggle mommy (she thinks he is snuggling me....she doesn't know that I am actually pinning him down). I guess if you look at it optimistically there you go!

10 comments:

Jon and Ashley said...

Poor little guy! It always breaks your heart when such little kids have things wrong with them. I hope the treatments start to help him more. Le me know if you need anything.

Hibbard Family said...

I'm with you on the mixed emotions - glad you have a solution, but know what this can mean for him. Keep optomistic thoughts... he can grow out of it!

Shayne said...

Poor thing! I understand how you feel! About a year ago, I found out pretty much the same way you did that Boston has asthma. It can be scary at times but hopefully he won't have it too bad!

Stephanie said...

Oh man, I know how that is. Eva has asthma too, and Leighton probably does, according to the doctor. The nebulizer is almost a weekly even at our house. Anytime they get a cold, out it comes. That's awesome he'll wear the mask. Eva won't have anything to do with it. We just hold it in front of her face with the tube thing on it and the doctor said that should work almost as well. Good luck with that. And I'm glad he's feeling better!

jamie t. said...

I am glad that you finally have an answer.. hang in there. It is so hard to see our little ones go through hard things and not feel well.

Ali said...

At least there are treatments, right? Poor kid, but it sounds like his Mama is giving him lots of love to help him through. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

He is precious. I loved the Christmas picture too. Talk to you soon. Love you!

Allison said...

Poor guy! I'm sure it's hard for you to find this out :( I hope he doesn't have a bad case of it... maybe it will just be mild asthma.

That is a super cute picture of him!

Doug & Stef said...

HOw rough! Poor thing, I'm so sorry!

vickersfam said...

What a tough thing. I hope it gets better eventually and that you can all stay positive!

counter