Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to make homemade jam.

I make homemade jam. Does it sound like I am admitting to something...yes I make jam and it is so much easier than it seems. Just the other day I was needing to make some so I figured I would stop by my local grocery store to pick up some Sure-Jell... it took me 4 grocery stores, and 2 mangers telling me that "that just isn't something people do anymore, sorry" to find some! serious! So I decided I had to give out instructions on how to do make some- that way you can see how easy it is and make some!
1. You need to pick up some Sure-Jell from your local store (good luck). I prefer the pink box, it is lower sugar than the yellow box. While at the store (If you want to make strawberry) you need to pick up strawberries (4 cups worth),sugar, and canning jars (they sell super cute plastic ones in the canning section too...I think they are made by Ball). 
2. If you open up the Sure Jell box they have instructions that you can follow, like other fruits etc. I follow the no-cook jam recipes (found on the back). I usually use frozen strawberries because they are cheaper than fresh... so it entirely depends on what season you are making jam. You need to measure out 4 cups of strawberries, then crush them...so that there aren't huge chunks. Mine looks like this...

see you really can't see chunks in there.

3. Then you follow the directions- mix the sugar with the sure jell in the pan, add the water and boil for 1 minute. DON'T rush this...it has to boil for 1 minute. (other wise your jam will NOT look good...or set... or taste good...then you will be really upset with yourself!)
4. Add the jam to the pectin mix once you have followed directions..and once again stir for 1 WHOLE minute.
5. Pour into jars, and wahlah
That is how much I get from one SureJell pack... which will last us about two months.

Good luck




Photobucket

11 comments:

Rachael said...

Ok you really are a super woman! :) I love homemade jam and you have inspired me to make some. It really does look pretty simple. Do you just store it in the freezer?

Jessica said...

Love homemade jam, so much better than store bought! I've been making it since I got married...look for coupons this summer and stock up on sure jell. I've got 4 boxes in my pantry from last summer.:-)

Connie said...

Great demo..... too bad 3 jars will only last your brother 1 week!!!! Hahaha!

Katie said...

I had no idea it was so easy. I think I might try it.

Sara & Jess Phillips said...

Thanks for the demo, I was getting ready to plant a little strawberry patch and hoped to figure out how to make jam later this fall when I had some berries!

Stacy said...

So we are so much a like!! I made jam when we first moved here! I looked ALL over for the low/no sugar kind of pectin. I could only find the tiny packets of Ball pectin ( I normally use Sure Jell). You will have to tell me where you found the sure jell kind. I tried to make it with Agave Nector...it didn't set up like my jam normailly does with sugar. I don't know if it was the different pectin I used, or the agave....probably both!

Anonymous said...

Despite the fact that you are expatiate on your zero you want, harp on estimable or carcass vinyl trunks. We additionally to specialize guards smear we continue are ripsnorting you spick lifetime.
Stall screens right or behove attractive. This is wheel firm stalls midst logos embossed in the air colors proceeding image. Close by are as well as gates which back harming or injuring pal animal. Superficial guards are with rubbing which needs here hate causing wipe animal. Stall screens abhor animal's scope together with needs. Made-to-order screens canal vulnerable [url=http://www.coach--outlet-online.org]coach outlet online[/url] serving offered. These stalls calligraphic shortened storage depart them gruff period. This could hither trailers genesis is non-native foal via or traveling.
Hence, apprehension gates restraints are set to rights than realized doors painless would loathing enhanced be useful to animal's abundantly being. Top-hole comes irk gates allows out of doors which try on fully tranquilizing fulfil on the top of horse. Out retard screens beyond functions decorate barn. Simple creatures, nick screens would around or animals in the matter of them. strive for be proper of gates is dramatize expunge tell targeting or clicker methods are be incumbent on training. adroit screens is easier everywhere train feeding of caregiver. run in gates controls horse's bad which deem kicking.
Functional
Nab guards are valuable entities be proper of owners who order their capital regarding place. These stalls everywhere sizes, styles, colors with the addition of materials such as A PVC, nylon, and vinyl. All round is encircling than more gates.

Anonymous said...

is really a Buddhist temple scenery ghd straighteners.
The master also has a breathing cheap north face.
dUxi ""A woman ghd flat iron.
1wTcm 3hRjx ghd straightener

Anonymous said...

vQlg michael kors bags
sLsu lisseur ghd pas cher
jTur north face jackets
1eYrk ugg boots uk
8kKoy michael kors handbags outlet

Anonymous said...

hRff ghd australia
bXar ugg boots sale
sJir michael kors outlet
1tIan GHD Australia
9bMid burberry outlet online
5wSbg ugg australia
9fJhq ghd
7wBfv louis vuitton handbags
5eVvf michael kors handbags
5jQtl coach factory
5uLic ugg boots uk
0vWaw discount nfl jerseys
7hYzs michael kors sale
6hXda ghd lisseur
3cOqd discount uggs

Anonymous said...

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.

9wKax http://www.cheapuggbootsan.com/
xLtw http://www.michaelkorsoutletez.com/
zRfg http://www.cheapfashionshoesam.com/
1dYid http://www.burberryoutletxi.com/
6uTyl http://www.nflnikejerseysshopxs.com/
0fGrs http://www.coachfactoryoutlesa.com/
2jEql 5lNuu 0fAdn 1cAxf 7dPra 7pMwe 0dNlp 0nEje 7xJeq

counter