Monday, November 26, 2007

Angelina Jolie

Now at first glance the title might make you think that we ran into Angelina.. in Indiana...hahah, yeah right! It has been a while since my last post and I have a VERY good reason. For those of you who don't know we live in a town home, that is three stories. So that makes three flights of stairs-one to go upstairs, and one to go down to the basement. Halle has been really good at stairs minus a couple of minor trip ups- you know like falling down two or three stairs. Nothing big and usually only coming out with a bruise. All of this changed on Friday night. Dustin and his Dad went to the Mavericks/Pacers game leaving me home with both kiddos for a "quiet" evening. We ate dinner then headed upstairs to go play in her room when it happened. I was at the bottom of the stairs holding Bennett when Halle (from the top of the stairs) fell the entire flight of stairs on her face. She was going up the stairs and just lost her footing and slid the entire flight...it was so horrifying to watch because it just happened so fast! I stopped her about 3 steps from the bottom, then hurried and put Bennett down - then grabbed Halle and pulled her up. For those of you who have never expierenced a mouth wound with a toddler THEY BLEED. I am talking like everywhere. I for sure thought that we were going to go to the ER, so I called our Doctor and spoke with a nurse. She reminded me that the mouth bleeds so just get it to stop bleeding then look at the damage and see what happened-and if needed she would try and find a dentist open early tomorrow morning to take care of teeth. We eventually got the bleeding to slow down and went upstairs to get in the bath and see what we could find. The good news was that she hadn't gone through her lip (gross, but quite possible) so I gave her some pain meds then we snuggled after Bennett went to bed. She woke up early the next morning, sore, but quite chipper...and her lips looked like ...yes Angelina Jolie



I gave her some more pain meds and then waited to see how she felt. I realized her teeth were fine when she asked for a carrot for snack...so we still have all our teeth. Halle miraculously came out of this with a huge lips, a nasty nasty rug burn down her chin, and a (sorry if too graphic) mutilated inside of her mouth (due to those sharp toddler teeth!!) We went to the Doctor today to finally do a once over just to make sure everything was healing and she said that we were so lucky Halle's teeth didn't go through her lip. She said it looked really close, but it didn't so just count our blessings.

SO-needless to say...I want a ranch house. With no stairs...at least until all my babies are old enough that they won't do that much damage.

8 comments:

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

WOW...I am soo sorry. That sounds awful!! I hate having to go through those experiences along...spouseless. But HORRAY there's no permanate damage. My niece bit through her lip and has some bumpy-lumpy scar tissue. Be glad it's not that!!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, my mom told me about that. So sad! I would be horrified, too. Poor Hallekins! At least the damage wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been!

Anonymous said...

Isn't that scary! I think it happens to almost every child at some point and it's such an awful feeling to have to watch it in slow motion and not be able to stop it.
You're such a good mom Samye - it sounds like you handled it really well.
Love, Aunt Babs

Denise Stears said...

How sad! I'm glad she is ok. I know how you must have felt. Macey has fallen down the stairs a few times, it's scary. I want a one level house too.

Meagan Cooper said...

ahhh poor little thing, Toddlers have the worst wipe outs almost daily, (at least David does). Glad it wasn't too serious.

Ali said...

I am so glad to hear that it wasn't any worse. Did you have a minor heart attack or what? Blood and infants... = my worst nightmare!

Em said...

Aw! Poor little thing! I'm glad she's ok! I'm always afraid of children on stairs.

Sara & Jess Phillips said...

Poor Halle. I agree with Aunt Babs, I hate being helpless when things happen the the kids and it feels like slow motion as it is happening. I'm glad to hear she's feeling better.

counter