Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The joy of motherhood


Yesterday was like every other day...feeding two kids all the time, changing lots and lots of poopy diapers.. and dealing with all sorts of temper tantrums. Tantrums over not making the right kind of breakfast, not going fast enough in the car, making her go down for nap...and as you other moms know the list just continues.

Yet last night as I went to tuck Halle in bed I was just breathing sighs of relief that I was going to have one in bed and one more to go shortly after. Our nightly routine is to say prayers, and then I read two stories to her. Last night was "The Doorbell Rang", and "What Makes a Rainbow"...typical choices. As I finished reading I turned to Halle and gave her kisses goodnight as she told me "Mommy...my best friend." At that point all chaos from earlier in the day had disappeared as my heart just melt because my daughter actually considered me to be her best friend. As I tucked her in bed and went downstairs to put Bennett down i felt more calm as my son screamed his bloody head off throughout the entire bath, i fed him, burbed him, and then gave him a sweet kiss knowing that one day I too would be his best friend.

I woke up in a grand mood this morning- and decided that I would make blueberry pancakes for breakfast. A special treat for Halle and I as we are both breakfast fans. As I was making pancakes I went to go ask Halle to come set the table and as I approached she was giving our brainless cat Klio a big hug (literally laying on top of her) and telling her..."Klio...your my bestest friend"...

Oh well.

10 comments:

becky porter said...

Oh! That is the cutest and most hilarious story! Your blog is prepping me for the someday joys of motherhood!

Devin and Megan said...

I love that story! I am excited for
#2 not any time soon, but the joy is worth it!
Keep smiling!
Megan

Meagan Cooper said...

Hey, Can I add you to my blogging friends list? Also that wrap is called the MOBY wrap, and it is the greatest invention in the WORLD. Sadie loves it. It is this big long piece of fabric and it comes with a book of instructions on different ways to tie the wrap. I tie her up and we go for walks, I can clean, play with David, she will sleep in there for hours! And she is tied in there so securly she isn't going anywhere so I can have 2 hands free. You MUST get one. I think they are about $30 I got mine online. Your little guy will love it.

Em said...

ha! Wow, what a cute story. I guess take what you can get, right? I cannot believe how old Alex is! wowzas!

Katherine Young said...

haha! that is funny. and by the way, halle makes the most adorable faces in all of her pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...Halle better try out for some theatrical stuff when she's older. She's sure got the expressions for it.

Shannon Martino said...

such a funny story.

I LOVE Halle's expression.

Ola said...

She's SO funny! I can't wait when Ollie gets into talking stage of life! :)

Denisse said...

Such a priceless story Samye!!! Too cute! Motherhood is definitely difficult but soooo rewarding when you realize that no one else can be the mother of these precious children!!! You are the only one that has been called to be their mommy!!! Congrats on the the new addition!

Michelle Glauser said...

Ha ha, you measure up with a cat named Klio. :D Thanks for your blog, I love it.

counter