Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dinner Battle

Have you ever had the dinner battle at your house? We have...numerous times. Mostly with our 3 year old, but last night was little dude's turn. You see... I have always said that I will never make separate meals for my children, this is what we are having for dinner you eat it or you go hungry (harsh I know). Well, then Bennett comes into the picture- when he was born he was extremly allergic to milk...even at his first birthday he broke out in hives while eating his ice cream for his party (sad I know). So- whenever I made anything to eat for our family, if it had milk in it I had to get him something different. Within the past month I have noticed that the reactions are no longer there...he ate macaroni and cheese for the first time and actually loved it (as to the previous time when he broke out in severe hives all over his face and mouth). You can imagine my joy when I realized that dinner will once again only be one meal...

Last night I made a very simple dinner...chicken on the grill, carrots, and rice. We sat down and started eating-Bennett sucked his carrots in like he was a vacuum and then looked at us and told us he wanted down. We decided we weren't going to allow this (usually he would get down, go play, and then come back 20 minutes later looking for a snack...something other than what we had eaten for dinner) so we said no you have to eat your chicken (this is at 6pm). At 6:15 he starts yelling because we won't put him down so we turn his chair towards the wall. From that point on every about 10 minutes we would ask "Are you ready to turn around?" His answer "yeah". We would turn him around and tell him to eat his chicken... "NO"... Ok, so we would turn him back around to face the wall. This went on throughout dinner (45 minutes...including clean up time) throughout Family Home Evening (yep we left him in his chair...30 + minutes) and then after having a grand ole time with FHE we went to the kitchen to have dessert. I think that he finally realized that we weren't going to give.... we meant business. So as we are sitting there eating our pineapple upside down cake (which was delicious.) when all of a sudden we hear these monstrous chewing noises and he is stuffing every piece of chicken in his mouth with his chubby little hands. It took him literally 35 seconds flat. After he finished he was turning to look for us saying "mama....dadda.....done" and it was 7:30pm. What a stubborn little boy... but after finishing he did enjoy dessert...and lots of loves just so he knew that we still loved him.

It only took us 90 minutes...boy we are REALLY mean parents...

Photobucket

15 comments:

knjfabela said...

Good for y'all. I know it is hard sticking to your guns sometimes!

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

I'm SOOO glad that you agree that Parenting is SERIOUSLY HARD sometimes!! But stick to your guns and each time will last shorter and shorter...he'll get it!!

Rachael said...

wow... this is what I have to look forward to! :) That sounded like quite the obstacle, but at least you didn't give in. Oh, the story right below... yeah I love animals too, but I HATE stray cats. I hope you did get a pellet gun. I also hope you and your kids are feeling better!

Brooklyn said...

I applaude your efforts! I need to be more resolute with Cai, especially now that she's starting to throw serious tantrums. You guys are a great example!

Lauren said...

We had to lay down the law with Tanner too, but it was SO worth it in the end to have him eat what I make! Good job!

Shannon Martino said...

I'm glad other Mmmies and Daddies are mean like us :)

Bree said...

I'm SOOO glad we're not the only ones!!! Honestly, that same night we had the same dinner (except a diff veggie) and Avri would NOT eat. We took her to her crib several times and after an hour she still refused to finish her dinner so we put her to bed. AHHHH! So frustrating!! I'm glad Bennett finally gave in...we're still working on our stubborn picky eater!! :)

Zach and Kate Hulet said...

You rock. Consistency is critical... even at a young age. So is everyone feeling better in your house? I hope so. You guys deserve a break!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the little guy won't be "chicken fighting" with you guys anymore! Har, har, har...

Kami P. said...

I love that story. Good job you guys! Kids need tough love.

Jessica said...

I love this story...I think people think I am harsh sometimes too...it's just for the betterment of our children!

Diane Jaggi said...

Good for you! At least he ate it - mine would refuse and refuse and throw a fit for the dessert. But I stick to my guns too. No giving in. Mean moms rule!

rw said...

That is awesome, glad that you are mean parents, I cant wait to be a mean parent too:) Too many people give their kids everything that they want. That was an awesome story.

Stuart Humes said...

Yea! I found you in this big cyber world. We are the mean kind too! Our poor children will grow up miserable and they won't even know it! Call me if you think of it!

Hibbard Family said...

I'm proud of you. Kaden tries the same thing, and I refuse to make him something special. he just goes to bed hungry a lot of times.

counter